Thursday, January 13, 2011

If at first you fail...

In my exercises in creation I follow Robert Rodriguez's advice about film making: if you want to make movies, then grab a camera and start shooting. Push yourself to film any and all scripts that come to mind, as the early ones are going to suck, so better get them out of the way now, so that you can move on to the good stuff.

Now, while its a sensible advice, its easier said than done when you're have several outlets for your creative spirit and you have multiple (and tempting) sources of distraction.

Fortunately, I seem to be getting a handle on thing, of sorts.  I have been focusing a bit more on the music aspect, even if I am not going as full bore as I'd want (or fantasize.) I have been writing the food blog, which allows me to regularly spend some time writing and dealing with my other main creative outlet, cookery.

I may not be getting the results I am pining for: the recordings are nowhere near something I could call songs, more like rough riffs that might lead somewhere; the writing is non-fiction, which isn't bad per se, but I do want to write fiction again, so getting the blog going on a regular basis might get me to eventually scribble some made up bits and so on.

I had been holding myself back, by using circumstances to put sand in the gears, but really, I was just using whatever was at hand to distract me from my goals. I certainly cannot use work anymore, as I am more and more comfortable in the new environment, which is also a constant learning experience, so this will also serve me later. The gains are more than material. I am learning things that will let me properly showcase myself and get the attention that is required for my endeavours to succeed.

I once wanted to join the air force;

 

while I stayed away from the stuffy structure, I have kept a love of uniforms,


flying

and bomber pinups.

Oh, and the motto " Aim High."

Onward and upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment